Friday, March 4, 2011

Day 2

July 8, 2010

Well here we are, aboard the Jolly Roger, heading north towards Seattle. We started the trip in Honolulu on July 5th. Geoff is the Skipper. Brendan, Soangela, Greg (Geoff's brother), and myself make up the crew. We shoved off the marina the morning after watching the Honolulu fireworks on the 4th of July. We sailed overnight to the island of Kauai and set anchor in Hanalei Bay. Everyone went ashore via the little motor dinghy. I got some fish tacos and my last beer in the town there. Hanalei Bay was amazing – a small bay surrounded by steep mountains with waterfalls running off the top. I wish I could have stayed there for a few weeks. There would be some great hiking around there. The town seemed really great too. A little touristy maybe, but not Honolulu by any stretch.



After spending the night, we stowed the dinghy, cleaned up the boat, then pulled anchor. We're headed due North to avoid getting stuck in the North Pacific High. The boat is making good time considering how heavy she is. The wind is coming more NE than I would have guessed. (I was expecting dead Easterlies).

I got a bit queasy on the trip from Honolulu to Hanalei. We were running under jib and reefed mizzen, mostly downwind. There was some pretty good swell and I got a little sick when I was down below putting on my harness. Things are fine now though. I thought the swell out here would be bigger.

Sleeping arrangements on the boat are not ideal. There's a huge bed aft, easily enough for two to sleep, but it's difficult in a seaway. There's only one proper sea bunk with a lee cloth and even that berth is located quite a way towards the bow making for a rougher ride. With five of us on board we have a pretty leisurely rotation. We double up on deck, especially at night. Right now I've got 4 hours on and 8 hours off at a time.

No comments: