Friday, March 4, 2011

Day 4

July 10, 2010

The last couple nights were a bit squally -- the wind would pick up and drop some rain on us, but then it would ease back down. I don’t think it ever got above 20 kts. Today the seas have picked up a bit. It’s hard to get a good measure on the swell, but I’d say we’re in some solid 8 footers. Wind is still NE, but supposedly it’ll clock around to the E and SE. Geoff says we’ve got about 150 nm in the last 24 hours.



Saw my first albatross today! Very cool. I also saw many flying fish today compared to the last couple. I’m surprised how many birds there are this far away from land. Mainly high-aspect winged critters that look a lot like the terns I’m used to up north.

The crew is really settling into the schedule and things seem normal now. I’m not as tired during my late shift and it goes by pretty quickly. The crew is mostly fine… sort of a strange pack. Brendan reminds me of myself a bit when I was younger. He goes to Western, plays guitar in the music program (knows David Feingold, etc). He got a boat with his friend and lives down at Colony Wharf. He seems pretty eager to learn all things nautical.



We just got done taking the mainsail down, now we’re running under jib and mizzen.

The storm jib situation has got me worried ... since there is only one set of cars on the rail leading aft. How we’re going to stow the roller furler and then lead the new jib sheets back isn’t set. Not really the type of thing I’m looking forward to making up when we actually need it.

No comments: